Rope hammocks are the most recognized style of hammock as well as the most traditional. All rope hammocks include spreader bars. Spreader bars separate the sides of the hammock, keeping it open to lie in, and support weight from the bed of the hammock when in use. Rope hammocks can be hung between two trees or used on a stand outdoors. We offer a variety of size options along with an option for a smaller space.
Rope hammocks are generally made of cotton or polyester.
Cotton is slightly more comfortable as the rope will stretch and contour to the body. However, cotton rope absorbs moisture which makes it more susceptible to mildew.
Polyester is more durable and withstands high humidity, salt water air and UV rays. It's less susceptible to mold and mildew, which means it will last longer. Polyester rope is slightly less flexible than cotton, but that does not mean it is any less comfortable.
Rope Hammock Tips:
- Most rope hammocks are 13' in overall length so unless you choose to use a stand, your trees should be 13-17' apart.
- Due to the large space that the rope weave creates, we don't recommend rope hammocks if you have young children.
Quilted hammocks offer full-bodied comfort and are perfect for cooler climates. A quilted hammock is similar in style to that of a rope hammock and also includes wooden spreader bars. Instead of a woven bed like a rope hammock, a quilted hammock consists of two layers of fabric with a fiberfill in between the layers. It is similar in feel to a light comforter. Our quilted hammock options are made from various weather and fade resistant fabrics. Similar to rope hammocks, quilted hammocks can be hung between two trees or used on a stand outdoors. This is a great option for families as there are no holes or gaps for small hands and feet to slip through.
Quilted Hammock Tips:
- Quilted hammocks are reversible, usually with a pattern on one side and a solid on the opposite. It's like purchasing two hammocks in one!
Mayan style hammocks are thin string hand woven hammocks that originated in Central America and are known for their bright colors and unique aesthetic appeal. The Mayan weave is very flexible yet incredibly supportive. Our Mayan hammocks are made in the Yucatan province in Mexico and are of exceptional quality. Most of our Mayan hammocks are non-spreader bar style and are made of either cotton or nylon. The cotton Mayan hammocks are softer and also contour to your body slightly more. Because the string is natural cotton fiber, the cotton Mayan hammocks are less durable if used outdoors. The nylon mayans are more durable and are less susceptible to mold or mildew. The colors are also slightly brighter due to the sheen of the nylon string.
Mayans are great for backpackers, rock-climbers and campers. They are extremely light weight but have the ability to hold large amounts of weight. Mayans can be used outdoor on a stand or between two trees as well as indoors by inserting hooks in wall studs or ceiling beams. They are great for all climates and are especially convenient for small apartments and dorm rooms for extra ?seating? or even an extra place to sleep.
Mayan Hammock Tips:
- String hammocks are amazingly strong but can be easily damaged. Sharp objects, buttons and zippers can damage the intricate weave so take this into consideration. We offer a Thick String Mayan Hammock that offers the same comfort but with much thicker string, making it a more durable choice.
- Due to their intricate weave, Mayan hammocks do not typically last as long as Rope or Quilted hammocks
Brazilian hammocks are crafted from cotton fibers that are hand woven tightly into beautiful thick fabrics that are extremely comfortable and a little better for cooler climates. They are traditionally known for their wide variety of colors as well as elaborate fringe that offers a unique look. Most of our Brazilian hammocks are a non-spreader bar style although we do offer a couple spreader bar options. These hammocks are especially great for families with children. Because the bed of the hammock is solid with no gaps, there is no worry for small fingers and toes getting caught or tangled in the hammock. This also means there is minimal air flow through the hammock so they most comfortable when used in cooler climates or on cooler summer nights. All of our Brazilian hammocks are made from cotton and can be used either indoors or outdoors.
Brazilian Hammock Tips:
- If you are interested in a Brazilian hammock but are wary of the non-spreader bar "cocoon" style, we suggest the Large Brazilian Hammock w/Spreader bars. This allows you the comfort of the Brazilian cotton hammock with a more open bed similar to that of a rope or quilted hammock.
Our Nicaraguan hammocks are uniquely hand crafted hammocks that offer wonderful comfort and beauty. They are crafted in Central America by artisans using soft spun cotton cords and a double weave technique. The weave is similar to that of the Mayan hammocks although much tighter, meaning the weave is more durable and harder to snag. Nicaraguan hammocks are typically non-spreader bar style. These hammocks are great for couples and can be used in any climate. The unique weave allows just the right amount of air flow for maximum comfort. Many of the Nicaraguan hammocks are also available with unique macram? fringe. Nicaraguans can be used indoors or outdoors but should not be left outside for extended periods of time when not in use.
Nicaraguan Hammock Tips:
- The Nicaraguan weave is tighter than that of a mayan hammock but can also be easily damaged, so remove any sharp objects or items on clothing that could snap or harm the hammock.
Our Poolside hammocks are made just for those that want a nice place to relax by the pool, ocean or on the beach. These hammocks are made from exceptional fabrics, which is why our poolside hammocks are our most durable option. A poolside hammock is a great option for anyone in warmer climates or those who are close to salt water areas. These hammocks are made to be more fade resistant and less susceptible to mold and mildew damage and are primarily meant to be used outdoors. They also are quick drying which is perfect for a poolside area. All of our poolside hammocks are spreader bar style and are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Due to the toughness and durability of the fabric the poolside hammocks are less comfortable than other spreader bar styles such as the quilted or rope hammocks. These hammocks can be used between trees as well as on one of our stand options.
Poolside Hammock Tips:
- For easy clean up, wash with a solution of liquid soap in lukewarm water. Rinse thoroughly and air dry. One cup of bleach per gallon of water may be added to the above solution for mildew stains.
Our Camping hammock selection offers a great option for anyone from an occasional vacationer to an avid outdoorsman. Camping hammocks are lightweight, portable and some are also great protectors from the elements. Camping hammocks are typically hung between two trees and some even have a built-in stand. All of our camping hammocks are made from extremely durable materials such as parachute nylon.
Camping Hammock Tips:
- To protect you from insects and mosquitoes on a hiking or camping trip, we suggest purchasing a style that includes a net, such as the Mosquito Free Bliss hammock.
- If you are looking for maximum convenience, we suggest the Ultra-light Travel Hammock which includes a stand and backback for carrying.