Rope models are the most recognized style as well as the most traditional. All include spreader bars. Spreader bars separate the sides, keeping it open to lie in, and support weight from the bed when in use. They can be hung between two trees or used on a stand outdoors. We offer a variety of size options along with an option for a smaller space.
Rope materials are generally made of cotton or polyester.
Cotton is slightly more comfortable as the rope will stretch and contour to the body. However, cotton rope absorbs moisture which makes it more susceptible to mildew.
Polyester is more durable and withstands high humidity, salt water air and UV rays. It's less susceptible to mold and mildew, which means it will last longer. Polyester rope is slightly less flexible than cotton, but that does not mean it is any less comfortable.
- Most of these are 13' in overall length so unless you choose to use a stand, your trees should be 13-17' apart.
- Due to the large space that the rope weave creates, we don't recommend these if you have young children.
Quilted styles offer full-bodied comfort and are perfect for cooler climates. They are similar to a rope style and also includes wooden spreader bars. Instead of a woven bed like a rope style, a quilted style consists of two layers of fabric with a fiberfill in between the layers. It is similar in feel to a light comforter. These options are made from various weather and fade resistant fabrics. Similar to rope, quilted styles can be hung between two trees or used on a stand outdoors. This is a great option for families as there are no holes or gaps for small hands and feet to slip through.
- They are reversible, usually with a pattern on one side and a solid on the opposite. It's like purchasing two in one!
The Mayan style are thin string hand woven swings that originated in Central America and are known for their bright colors and unique aesthetic appeal. The Mayan weave is very flexible yet incredibly supportive.They are made in the Yucatan province in Mexico and are of exceptional quality. Most of our them are non-spreader bar style and are made of either cotton or nylon. The cotton Mayan styles are softer and also contour to your body slightly more. Because the string is natural cotton fiber, they are less durable if used outdoors. The nylon Mayans are more durable and are less susceptible to mold or mildew. The colors are also slightly brighter due to the sheen of the nylon string.
Mayans are great for backpackers, rock-climbers and campers. They are extremely light weight but have the ability to hold large amounts of weight. Mayans can be used outdoor on a stand or between two trees as well as indoors by inserting hooks in wall studs or ceiling beams. They are great for all climates and are especially convenient for small apartments and dorm rooms for extra seating or even an extra place to sleep.
- String styles are amazingly strong but can be easily damaged. Sharp objects, buttons and zippers can damage the intricate weave so take this into consideration. We offer a Thick String Mayan that offers the same comfort but with much thicker string, making it a more durable choice.
- Due to their intricate weave, Mayan styles do not typically last as long as Rope or Quilted styles
Brazilian designs are crafted from cotton fibers that are hand woven tightly into beautiful thick fabrics that are extremely comfortable and a little better for cooler climates. They are traditionally known for their wide variety of colors as well as elaborate fringe that offers a unique look. Most of them are a non-spreader bar style although we do offer a couple spreader bar options. These are especially great for families with children. Because the bed is solid with no gaps, there is no worry for small fingers and toes getting caught or tangled. This also means there is minimal air flow so they are most comfortable when used in cooler climates or on cooler summer nights. All of our them are made from cotton and can be used either indoors or outdoors.
- If you are interested in a Brazilian but are wary of the non-spreader bar "cocoon" style, we suggest the Large Brazilian w/Spreader bars. This allows you the comfort of the Brazilian with a more open bed similar to that of a rope or quilted style.
Our Nicaraguan models are uniquely hand crafted that offer wonderful comfort and beauty. They are crafted in Central America by artisans using soft spun cotton cords and a double weave technique. The weave is similar to that of the Mayan although much tighter, meaning the weave is more durable and harder to snag. They are typically non-spreader bar style. These are great for couples and can be used in any climate. The unique weave allows just the right amount of air flow for maximum comfort. Many are also available with unique macram fringe. Nicaraguans can be used indoors or outdoors but should not be left outside for extended periods of time when not in use.
- The Nicaraguan weave is tighter than that of a Mayan but can also be easily damaged, so remove any sharp objects or items on clothing that could snap or harm it.
Our Poolsidemodels are made just for those that want a nice place to relax by the pool, ocean or on the beach. These are made from exceptional fabrics, which is why they are our most durable option. They are a great option for anyone in warmer climates or those who are close to salt water areas. These are made to be more fade resistant and less susceptible to mold and mildew damage and are primarily meant to be used outdoors. They also are quick drying which is perfect for a poolside area. All of our poolside styles are spreader bar style and are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Due to the toughness and durability of the fabric these are less comfortable than other spreader bar styles such as the quilted or rope. These can be used between trees as well as on one of our stand options.
- For easy clean up, wash with a solution of liquid soap in lukewarm water. Rinse thoroughly and air dry. One cup of bleach per gallon of water may be added to the above solution for mildew stains.
Our selection offers a great option for anyone from an occasional vacationer to an avid outdoorsman. These are lightweight, portable and some are also great protectors from the elements. They are typically hung between two trees and some even have a built-in stand. All are made from extremely durable materials such as parachute nylon.
- To protect you from insects and mosquitoes on a hiking or camping trip, we suggest purchasing a style that includes a net, such as the Mosquito Free Bliss model.
- If you are looking for maximum convenience, we suggest the Ultra-light Travel model which includes a stand and backback for carrying.